Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Brown Rice Casserole

 Brown rice has always been a staple at our family get-togethers.  Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without brown rice.  Not the real "brown rice".  I'm talking about good old white rice cooked in Campbell's soups!  Some of my friends and family have this idea that all I cook is "fancy stuff".  Not true!  I usually cook what is in my pantry or what I have on hand.  I wanted to try a different spin on brown rice this time around.  It usually has a can of French Onion soup in it, but all I had in my pantry was Golden Mushroom.  So I thought I'd give it a try and see how it turned out!  I love cooking with canned soups.  It just take me home.  I can close my eyes and feel like I'm sitting at my Gam's table.  Here's what I came up with:






1 1/2 cups of Rice, uncooked
1 10.5 oz. can Beef consomme (Campbell's)
1 10.5 oz. can Golden mushroom soup (Campbell's)
1/2 cup Water or stock
1 Onion, diced
3 cloves of Garlic, minced
1 tbsp Worcestershire
4 tbsp unsalted Butter
3 Scallions, thinly sliced
Salt
Crushed red pepper



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Melt the butter in a medium sized pan.

Turn the heat to medium and add the onion and add 1 tsp of salt.

Sweat until the onion becomes translucent, then add the garlic and a pinch of crushed red pepper.  Cook for 1 minute then turn off the heat.

In a medium bowl, stir together the beef consomme, golden mushroom soup, Worcestershire, water (or stock) and rice.

Pour the cooked onion and butter into a 9x9 baking dish.  Spread it out so the butter can coat the dish.

Pour the soup mixture over the top of the onions.  Gently stir.

Cover tightly with aluminum foil.

Bake for about 1 hour until the rice is fluffy.

After 1 hour, turn the oven off, crack the door, and let it stand for 10 minutes before serving. 

Sprinkle sliced scallions all over the top and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment