Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Eggs Benedict with Cajun Hollandaise

We had such a busy weekend!  Moving is rough, especially when you're moving to a third floor apartment. All day Friday I moved boxes and more boxes, 3 car loads. Saturday my family came and they helped me move all of my furniture. It was hard work but I'll take family time any way I can get it!  My sister and her husband spent the night Saturday and on Sunday I wanted to make a nice brunch. This is what I came up with... Eggs Benedict with Cajun Hollandaise.  There are no step by step pictures for this one since I was so busy moving all weekend. Sorry!





It's actually pretty simple to make. I know hollandaise is one of those things that scares people, but as long as you follow a few simple rules, you'll be just fine. Everything else is really just things bought from the store. Here's how I made the hollandaise:

5 egg yolks
1 1/2 sticks of butter, melted
Salt TT
1 lemon, juiced
2 tsp Cajun seasoning (I usually make my own, but since we had just moved in I just bought some!)
Hot sauce TT (I used Crystal)

Start out by making a double boiler. Simmer some water in a small pot and place a bowl on top. Make sure the bowl is not touching the water. 

In another pot, or in the microwave, melt the butter. 

Add the 5 egg yolks to the bowl over the double boiler. Whisk until the eggs begin to cook. They'll get thicker and paler in color. Make sure the heat is low. You don't want to scramble them. 

Add the Cajun seasoning and keep whisking. 

Once the eggs are cooked a little, remove from the heat. SLOWLY start whisking in the butter. A teaspoon at a time. Keep doing this until all of the butter is incorporated. 

Add the lemon juice, hot sauce and salt. 

Taste it and make sure it's how you like it. If you want it spicier, add more hot sauce. Tangier? More lemon. It's up to you. 

All done!  The sauce will hold for a while but you may need to warm it up over a double boiler again when you're ready to serve. 

For the rest of the Benedict:

English muffins
Eggs, poached
Tomato, sliced thick
Canadian bacon
Scallions

All I did was cook the Canadian bacon and the tomatoes in separate pans, just to get some color on them, then toasted the English muffins and poached the eggs. 

To assemble:

Muffin half, bacon, tomato, egg, Cajun hollandaise, scallions

Mmm!

Don't forget to serve a big fat mimosa on the side!



No comments:

Post a Comment