Thursday, August 14, 2014

Tilapia Lettuce Wraps with Napa and Apple Slaw

Fish tacos!  One of my favorites.  They are very trendy right now, you see them everywhere!  They can be so healthy, but also sooo unhealthy.  I love both though.  Sometimes it's nice to have some beer battered fish tacos but I love healthy tacos with a crisp slaw just as much.  I tried to make these tacos extra healthy by eliminated the tortilla and using romaine lettuce to wrap everything up instead.  For the slaw for these tacos, I used my recipe for Napa and Apple Slaw with Honey Lime Vinaigrette.  Delicious!


Serves 2:

1 lb. Tilapia filets
1 Heart of romaine 
Salt
Cumin
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Extra virgin olive oil

Prepare the Napa and apple slaw.

I used tilapia for this recipe but you can really use any white fish you'd like.  Cod or catfish would work just fine.  I like tilapia for tacos because it's cheap, light and filling.


I seasoned both sides of the fish with a mixture of salt, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin.  Equal parts, as much as you'd like.



Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with some olive oil.  You could also bake the fish if you'd like but I just used a skillet this time.  Once the skillet is nice and hot, drop in the fish.  Let it cook for a few minutes on each side, about 10 minutes total, turning it once.  If the fish is really thin, cook it for a little less.



Once the fish is cooked through, turn off the heat and flake the fish with two forks.


Tear off the large outside pieces of the romaine lettuce and place on plates.  Fill them with the tilapia and top it off with the Napa and apple slaw.




These were so good!  Really light and healthy, but filling and super flavorful at the same time.  I hope you'll give these a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment