Thursday, November 6, 2014

Garlic and Herb Mashed Potatoes

Mmm, mashed potatoes!  Everyone has a recipe for them...or a few!  Garlic mashed potatoes are my favorite!  Here's how I make mine:




What you'll need:

2 lbs. potatoes, any kind (I used Yukon gold, skin on)
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp of mixed dried herbs (I used thyme, oregano and basil)
2 tsp salt, plus extra



Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water by 2 inches.  Salt the water heavily.  Bring to a boil and cook the potatoes until they are fork tender.

While the potatoes are cooking, pour the cream into a small pot, add 2 tsp of salt and the dried herbs.  Bring barely to a simmer and turn off the heat.  Add the butter and let it melt.  I do this for a few reason:  I like to bring the cream up to temperature so it mixes into the potatoes nicely.  If you add cold cream to the potatoes it will just bring down the temperature of the potatoes themselves.  I also do this to wake up the dried herbs a bit and let their flavors come out.  Lastly, I like to mix everything together so all of the ingredients get well incorporated into the potatoes.

When the potatoes are cooked, drain and return to the pot.  Using a potato masher or anything you have that will work as a masher, mash the potatoes and mix in the cream and butter mixture and garlic.  I like to leave a few chunks in mine but if you want them really smooth, you can run them through a food mill or a potato ricer for a creamier consistency.

Taste for seasonings, adjusting if needed, and serve hot!

 Check out my Leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes recipe using these mashed potatoes!

"I'm watching you."

No comments:

Post a Comment