Friday, October 3, 2014

Salted Caramel Chocolate Pudding

Finally, a new post!  It's been a while since I've been able to get in the kitchen and make anything.  I've got a fracture in my knee, so I've really been trying to be on my feet as little as possible.  I think this might be my first dessert recipe I've posted.  This isn't "real" salted caramel pudding.  There's no caramel, but I've combined different flavors that make up that caramel flavor like brown sugar and butter.  I made this on a whim, just using what I had in the fridge and pantry one night when we really were craving something sweet.  Pudding is really easy to make.  A lot of recipes are very similar and you can change things around to get the flavor you're looking for.  Here's how I made it:






What you'll need:

 For the pudding:
2 cups Whole Milk (you could use half and half if you want it to be super rich)
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
3 tbsp Butter (unsalted)
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tbsp Corn Starch
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 Egg Yolks
Coarse sea salt for topping

For the whipped cream:
1 cup Heavy Cream
1 tbsp Sugar
Splash Vanilla


In a bowl, combine half of the milk, salt, corn starch, vanilla and egg yolks.  Whisk together and set aside.

In a small saucepan, combine the rest of the milk, butter, brown sugar, and cocoa powder. Heat over medium until it starts to bubble and everything is combined. Turn off the heat.

Being very careful and working quickly, add a ladle of the hot mixture into the egg mixture and whisk very very quickly.  This is called tempering.  If you added the egg mixture into all of the hot liquid, the eggs would heat too quickly and they'd scramble.  Yuck!  By adding a small amount of the hot liquid to the egg mixture, it slowly brings up the temperature of the eggs so they don't scramble.

Add another ladle and whisk.  Pour the egg mixture into the pot with the rest of the hot mixture.  Turn the heat to medium and whisk whisk whisk until it begins to thicken.

When the mixture bubbles, turn the heat to low and whisk until it is really thick.  A few minutes.

Turn off the heat and ladle the pudding into whatever you want to serve it out of.  I used some tea cups my grandmother gave me.

Chill in the fridge until cooled if you have a lot of willpower.  If not, enjoy warm!


For the whipped cream:
Pour the heavy cream in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.  If you don't have a stand mixer just use a hand held mixer.  And if you don't have one of those just use good old elbow grease and mix it by hand with a whisk.  Good luck!

Start the mixer on low speed then turn the speed to high.  Add in the sugar and the vanilla.  Whisk until the cream is thickened to your desired consistency.

Put as much whipped cream as you'd like on the pudding with some sea salt and enjoy!!




A little Zelda Dubstep for your enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment