Friday, June 5, 2015

Foolproof Crispy Chicken Thighs - Whole30 Approved

I don't know anyone who doesn't love fried chicken.  It's satisfying but leaves you feeling guilty afterwards!  One way to cut the guilt is to bake chicken instead.  Sometime I have trouble getting the skin really crispy, especially if it's a whole bird.  With chicken breasts, I find that once the skin is crispy the meat is dry!  So I gave chicken thighs a try.  They are cheap, juicy and delicious and I've come up with a foolproof method of getting crispy skin and keeping the meat juicy.  Here's how to make them:







What you'll need:

Chicken thighs, skin on - bone in
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt
Black pepper



Arrange the chicken thighs on a sheet tray skin side up.  Dry them off with paper towels and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides.  Brush a little olive oil on the skin.  Place in the oven and THEN turn the heat to 425 degrees.  Heating the oven once they're in will allow the fat to slowly render rather than shocking it right off the bat with such high heat.  Set the timer for 1 hour.  You don't even have to peek once they're in the oven.  Once the time is up, you're left with juicy and crispy chicken that taste even better than fried.  And no guilt afterwards!  I love to eat mine with Frank's hot sauce or a squeeze of lemon juice.

No joke, when I make these the cats go absolutely insane.  Of course I let them have a taste or two!

"Um, Mom...are they done yet?"



No comments:

Post a Comment