Monday, March 23, 2015

DIY Game of Thrones Coasters

A few years ago I made coasters as Christmas gifts for my friends and family.  They are so fun and easy to make and people really enjoyed them.  I love going over to their homes and seeing that they still have the coasters on their coffee tables.  I had a great Game of Thrones poster,but sadly the cats got to it and chewed the bottom of it.  It wasn't damaged that bad but it looked tacky on the wall.  I didn't want to throw it away because it was still in pretty good condition, so I made coasters out of it!  Here's how to make them:






What you'll need:

4x4 tiles (I got mine from Lowe's for 15¢ each)
Modge podge
A sponge brush
Scissors
Exacto knife
Cork
Pictures, scrapbook paper, card stock, or a torn poster :)

Malon and Faron's artwork

Faron protecting her artwork


Gather all your supplies.  I used the tile to trace where I cut.  I just placed it on the poster and used an exacto knife to cut it out.  Then I used scissors to shape up the edges.  I like to keep the paper a little smaller than 4x4 so there is a little outline.

After you have all of your pieces cut out and trimmed, spread a thin layer of modge podge on the tile and carefully place the paper on it, pressing out all the air bubbles.  If you use too much modge podge it will get a lot of bubbles and won't look right.  Give it about 5 minutes to dry then spread a thicker layer over the top of the paper.  It will look very white but it will dry clear.  Let it dry over night then apply another layer the next day and let it dry over night again.

Before
After
When they are completely dry, it's time to add the cork to the bottom.  I got cork discs from Michael's and cut them up to save money.  You don't need a whole layer of cork on the bottom, just some pieces on the edges.  I cut each square in fourths, then cut those pieces into fourths.


Malon supervising as always

Apply some modge podge to the corners and place one piece of cork on each corner.  Let dry overnight.


The final result:

No comments:

Post a Comment